Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Anger, Frustration, or just A Watchman Upon the Wall?

Am I an angry man, a frustrated man, a watchman upon the wall, or some combination of all of the above? The thought surfaced when I received the comment below regarding my Peace, Peace post (diatribe?). This individual wanted to ascertain my denomination, and then noted my inclination toward “anger”. Hopefully he/she did not imply that one caused the other. I’m not sure how this post is going to evolve. I was sufficiently sobered by the implication of anger that I thought I would do more than respond to the comment, but would expand any comment with an entire post. So here it is:

First of all, let’s deal with the denomination. I have been a member of the Freewill Baptist, German Baptist, Foursquare (licensed), Assemblies of God (licensed), and First Christian denominations. Further, I have been a member of some independent churches. Thirty eight years is a long time folks. In all of these congregations, with one exception, I have found the pastors to be solid in the faith regarding the essentials. I have no problem with denominations disagreeing with each other on nonessentials. Further, no denomination, school, or church has forged my belief system (or inner passion such as anger). Whatever wrestling is churning within my inner nature is due to observations of world conditions, dormancy within the Church, good exegesis, the approaching world-insanity, and the arrogance of the Church (as I see it). As an aside, you may have noticed that I have not noted (in my profile) the local congregation that I currently attend. This deletion is due to the controversial nature of this site. I do not feel that I have the right to expose my church to whatever mud may be slung at me by various outrageous statements that I may have made. Perhaps I will ask for their permission as the site progresses. I even delayed using my name. It was only after I asked permission from my family did I append it to this site. I have decided that whenever I am under another person’s authority such as my pastor, elder, Sunday school teacher (whenever I am changing diapers), etc., I do not have the right to expose them to whatever may be controversial due to my world-view, especially when they may disagree with me. Not so with this site!

With this site, the only inhibition that may constrain me is generated whenever I suspect that my words are not those that would be appended as from the Lord. Whatever shots that I may take across my bow because of “outrageous” statements, statements that would normally cause me to edit my thoughts, will be self-absorbed. With all of the integrity that is within me, I engage in combat before the Lord knowing that I will ultimately answer to Him for every word and thought that I generate. This is how I think. This is my ministry unconstrained by public opinion. All other ministries that I engage in are under someone’s authority, and I will not violate that authority whenever I feel that my opinions exceed their spiritual ethos. Again, not so with this site!


So, am I angry? Apparently I am. Now this is interesting and perplexing. I felt some guilt when I read the comment and it’s implication of anger. It’s taken me three days to introspect and respond. Yet, here I seem to feel some guilt at being an angry man, but am discouraged by my perception of the lack of anger in the Church. Why isn’t the Church outraged by every evil violation of human-kind? Why our silence over the destruction of the YMCA library at Gaza. See A Stunning (Predictable) Silence below. Why does a non-believing Jewish man in Jerusalem have to perceive such a silence and comment on it? - and the Church remains silent! I’m angry and feeling guilty that I am angry, but feeling angry that the Church isn’t angry. Apparently I have much to learn of my inner nature.

Am I frustrated? My yes!

Do I consider myself a Watchman Upon the Wall? Yes, I fear that this is true. Now, doesn’t that sound sophomoric? Any shallow man can claim that status. I can only appeal to whomever cares that this is not a shallow position on my part. I’d rather that it were otherwise.

All right, let’s end this literary pretzel. I am somewhat angry, more than somewhat frustrated, and stuck with the task of warning my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ that there is a freight train coming! I welcome anyone who wishes to explore with me in the coming months to give me your opinion. This includes my anonymous commenter who sensed my anger. I welcome your follow-up.

No comments: