Monday, March 17, 2008

An Old Friend

Just ran across an old friend that I had not seen in a while. It was good to see him again. Here he is:

My son, if you will receive my sayings,
And treasure my commandments within you,
Make your ear attentive to wisdom,
Incline your heart to understanding;
For if you cry for discernment,
Lift your voice for understanding;

If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
Then you will discern the fear of the LORD,
And discover the knowledge of God. (Prov. 2:1-5)

One of the thoughts that has pursued me lately is the perception that most of us in the Christian community can agree on a Biblical truth, but seldom dwell on the proactive activity that this passage may require of us. Consider the above:

Now we all want spiritual knowledge and discernment. But - how badly do we yearn for such a process? Do we cry and lift up our voice? Is such knowledge and discernment so important to us that we would search as if for silver to obtain them? Such promises are not ours by osmosis. The fear of the LORD, and the knowledge of God are not ours by default. They are to be agonized over - or so it seems to me.

By the way, I’m embarrassed by how long it has been since I have been into the Book of Proverbs.

No comments: