Friday, February 15, 2008

Peace or Sifting?

This post may become a little strange. I’m not quite certain how it’s going to come out. Let’s find out:

While observing the current trend (thrust?) toward Church Growth, namely the techniques and methodologies so involved, it is becoming clear to me that those involved are generating a process that is bifurcating that portion of the Church into both true and false “believers” in Christ. “That portion of the Church”, of course, would be the postmodern explosion becoming known as the Emergent Church. Let’s include, along with the EC, the Purpose Driven, and seeker-friendly expressions - all expressions that seem to be diluting the absolutes of the Scriptures to the point of apostasy. That there are true and substantive brothers belonging to and participating in that EC thrust is a fact that I cannot ignore. What do I do with such a condition? Well, here’s where it may get a little strange:

When my wife and I first became Christians, the presence of the Spirit was heavily upon us. For those of you who are passionate for, or against, Charismatic expressions, turn your engines off here or you will miss the point. One of the visions (?) that I had in those days was one of an insight into a form of the testing of our faith. Before expanding on this thought, let me say that it is becoming clear to me that many who are involved in this postmodernist thrust are preterist in nature, i.e., they believe that all biblical signs implying judgment and tribulation have been fulfilled by past events in our human history. To those of you who believe in just such a scenario, I ask you to postulate that such was not the case, but rather, that such events await us yet in the future. I, also, invite those of you who believe that the Church will be raptured-out of the Great Tribulation to postulate the same. Let’s work hard at this beloved! We are going to postulate here! Please do so, or you, too, will miss the point. Here is the possible scenario that I believe that His Spirit gave to me: If we are to be tested at a future time of intense tribulation (and I believe that we will), one of the forms of testing will be the testing, under severe conditions, of our unity of fellowship with the entire body of Christ. During this process of severity and sifting-out of the true remnant (in Christ), I envisioned that so many of us “heroes for Christ” would have set before us some so-called brother who uniquely offends our intellectual/spiritual position. As we see the World falling apart and the concomitant hatred for His Church no longer being restrained (2 Tim. 3:1-5), God will force us into a position of fellowship with just such a person. “Alright, hero for God”, the Spirit might say, “Let’s see how much you love Me. This man belongs to Me. What is more important to you? Your great brilliance, or your fellowship with one of Mine”? What an incredibly powerful, intense, and life-changing decision that will be!

So, who will I be tested with? Will it be a King James Only zealot, a Word-Faith zealot, and anti-this, a pro-that, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc? Is the Church going to usher in peace, or is She going to get spanked (by the World) and sifted out (Mt. 3:12) as we approach the close of the age? If it’s the latter, I may get tested by a full-blown Emergent. I am only now learning about this EC thrust, and about those so involved. I am observing them say bad things about people (brothers) like me. I am determined not to do the same until prompted by the Spirit to engage in such warfare. From this point forward, I will choose my demons carefully, and with much prayer. Until prompted by His Spirit to do otherwise, I will consider all those who are so involved in this current thrust to be true brothers in Christ. Those who are truly aberrant will be made manifest over time. Those who are true brothers will unite under Him who is coming and rejoice together with all those who disagree on the nonessentials, but belong to Christ and then will come the end (or so it seems to me). For you see, we may all have to pass that test. A winnowing fork is a terrible thing to waste.

TAFTCom…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I read a portion of Lucian today and he is speaking to some of his heros in Philosophy; Aristotle, Plato, Diogenes, Socrates and the like that have been raised from Haides. He is very upset and complains to them that there are many who claim to love Philosophy but fail to privately live it. Well, these Philosophers are able to bring in to the discussion Philosophy personified herself and she brings with her Truth, Virtue and Exposure and they all agree with him that there are many "Pretenders" in the world. It's a facinating story and I will not give up the ending but I couldn't help but get excited that we have this company on our side. Is not Knowledge, Truth, Virtue and Exposure on our side and revealed in Christ Himself? There will come a day when as the word says, "every thought, motive and intent of the heart will be revealed...", that makes me proud to be a christian and at times gives me holy fear and humility.

I really appreciate your attitude of love and patience with those in our churches that we often dissagree with as well as the committment to Truth that you are even willing to suffer for. God is certainly at work and nothing goes unnoticed and I agree that He "sifts" us in many ways and I can't think of any that are particularly desireable.

Love you Dad