Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Behind the Wall

Just got a letter from the guy that I recently visited in prison (see previous entry). A portion of the letter goes like this:

I wondered what was the goal for my life. Right now I’m not sure, but I feel like you guys have something to do with it. I want to be used by God, even while I’m in here. Thru the past few years I’ve felt so bad about myself, I didn’t feel I had the right to tell anybody what to do or how to act. Maybe now I can at least say, ‘Don’t follow me, And Don’t make the same mistakes.’ Ron, when you told me about your (blog or Web.) page I thought what a wonderful way to work together. Ron, the other day you ignited a spark in me. I’m sending you a poem I wrote years ago. I was locked up when I got saved. If you feel like putting it on your page, I would be blessed.

So here it is:

One hundred men lay sleeping
But no one’s souls at rest
Each heart has it’s own rhythm
Deep within it’s chest
These walls are old and knowing
They’ve seen us come and go
Chained, cuffed and struttin, gangsters walkin slow
We walk the well- known mainline, been doin it for years
Showing man- size courage, hiding man- size tears
When they lock you down in irons and cages made of steel
Although your wrists are bleeding, it’s the inner pain you feel
When the man takes aim around you and the bullets start to fall
When the smoke has cleared away, you’re still behind the wall
As the world goes slowly by, nothing seems to change
I’m praying for an answer, as I slowly go insane
Then I heard of Jesus in my cell that day
And how He changed so many lives of all who came to pray
He became my savior, He became my lord.
Now I’m trusting Jesus and giving him my all
I’ve never felt such freedom since I’ve heard His call
Cause all the world is living…
And Lost Behind the Wall (emphasis mine)

Joe gets out in 2011.

No comments: